Before L.L. Bean championed the ’90s fleece pullover, the mail order company, founded in 1912, primarily sold hunting, fishing, and outdoorsman gear. Here’s what the catalog used to look like.
1. A family of bears crossing a log? Adorable!
2. A hunter with a poor dead kitty? TERRIFYING.
3. A momma raccoon and a baby raccoon stealing some unsuspecting campers’ food? Clever AND adorable.
4. Peter Rabbit fleeing for his life…NOOOO!
5. A camper spilling coffee after seeing two curious baby bears? That’s pretty freakin’ adorable.
6. An old man pretend-shooting a gun with a dead fox on the floor? WHAT IS GOING ON.
7. A grandfather and his son spending quality time together? Well done, well done.
8. Run, little mouse! RUN I SAY!
9. Oh thank God, some people without guns, calmly observing nature 🙂
10. You again, Scary Old Gun Man?
11. Not sure what’s going on here, but that kid looks happy, so this is adorable.
12. Oh, puppy! Can’t blame you for following your natural doggie instincts, but…oh dear.
13. A couple hoists a canoe into an idyllic lake? Teamwork=adorable.
14. This extremely tense dog who looks as though he has anger management issues? Terrifying.
15. And this man who comes home with a sleeping child on his arm? ADORABLE. His wife, however, does NOT look happy. Ruh-roh.
Read more: http://buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/these-vintage-ll-bean-catalog-covers-are-either-terrifying-o